You’ve heard the sage advice to “keep grounded,” right? Well that goes for your house as well as for you. It’s shocking to realize how many homes are not properly grounded. It’s a good bet that much of this problem ties back to amateur electricians or undertrained appliance installers. Some of the rest may involve failed or faulty equipment.

With a faulty ground, everything in a home that runs on electricity becomes dangerous. You have a much higher risk of being shocked. There may also be problems with the lights dimming and appliances working properly. A properly grounded system does not usually have these problems.

It might be a good idea to ask a licensed electrician to give your home an electrical health-check. You never know what might turn up.